Iran Says No Indication
Cyberattack Led To Downing Of Ukrainian Airliner
June 29, 2020
military prosecutor says there is no indication that the downing of a
Ukrainian passenger jet in Iran in January was due to a cyberattack on
the country's defense system.
Speaking on June 29 to some of the families of the victims, Gholam Abbas
Torki, the military prosecutor for Tehran Province, reiterated that
human error was the cause of the accident that killed all 176 people on
board the Boeing 737 airliner.
He said the operator of the air-defense system had not received
permission from his superiors before firing two missiles at the
"Twenty-six seconds passed between the first and second firing, but
unfortunately during this time the operator also did not get permission
for the second firing from the network," Torki added.
He said three people remain in detention over the downing of the
Kyiv-bound aircraft, while three others have been released on bail.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) took responsibility for
the unintentional shooting down of the airliner that came amid
heightened tensions with the United States. The incident and the delayed
admission of guilt -- it was three days before the IRGC took
responsibility -- led to widespread anger and street protests.
forces had been on high alert at the time of the tragedy, which came
hours after Iran launched missile strikes on an Iraqi military base
housing U.S. troops. The Iranian strikes were carried out in response to
the killing of a top IRGC commander, Qasem Soleimani, in a U.S. drone
strike near Baghdad's airport.
Torki defended the delay and said that a preliminary investigation into
the incident had been conducted "in the shortest term possible."
He also reiterated that Tehran will send the black box recorders from
the plane to France for analysis.
He said the recorders were "physically damaged" and that the data could
only be recovered with "sophisticated" technology.
of Use | Copyright
© 2002 - 2020
SM CORPORATION. All
rights reserved. |