SEARCH FINANCIAL SERVICES INFRASTRUCTURE SECURITY SCIENCE INTERVIEWS

 

     

Former Congressman Anthony Weiner Pleads Guilty in Sexting Case

May 19, 2017

Former Democratic Representative Anthony Weiner pleaded guilty in a New York court Friday to charges in connection with his lewd contact over the internet with a 15-year-old girl.

Weiner, the disgraced former congressman, wept in court as he apologized to the girl's family. He pleaded guilty to a charge of transmitting sexual material to a minor, and agreed not to appeal any prison sentence between 21 and 27 months.

"I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse," Weiner said as he apologized to the teen.

Weiner will be required to register as a sex offender as part of his plea deal, the judge said.

Weiner was investigated in September of last year after the girl told a tabloid news site that she and the former representative had been exchanging lewd messages for several months.

She also accused him of asking her to undress on camera.

Weiner has a history of sex scandals.

He was forced to resign from Congress in 2011 after he accidentally posted a sexually explicit image of himself on his public Twitter account. He later admitted that he "exchanged messages and photos of an explicit nature with about six women over the last three years."

About two years later, in 2013, Weiner was confronted with another sexting scandal, just as he hoped to return to politics by entering the New York City mayoral race. Weiner used the alias "Carlos Danger" to send explicit images of himself to a 22-year-old Indiana woman. He dropped out of race after the scandal came to light.

Weiner's wife, Huma Abedin, announced her intention to separate from him in August of 2016 after it was reported Weiner had sexted another woman while lying in bed with his son.

Abedin is an American political staffer best known for her work on Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign. The FBI's investigation into Weiner led them to the discovery of a new cache of emails sent between the two women.

This discovery was followed by former FBI director James Comey's decision for his agency to reopen its closed investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server for State Department business, so it could further analyze the new material.

Shortly before the election, Comey announced that the newly discovered emails contained nothing that could be used as a charge against her.

The Clinton campaign put part of the blame for her election loss on President Donald Trump and his request for Comey and his agency to investigate her emails.

Terms of Use | Copyright 2002 - 2017 CONSTITUENTWORKS SM  CORPORATION. All rights reserved. | Privacy Statement